Find your purpose
Team Leader - Oncology Discovery
Research - Disease Area
Share this job opening
Pleased to meet you, we are Galapagos, a dynamic fast growing Biotech company. We’re in the business of changing lives.
Galapagos’ mission is to make a lasting positive contribution to society through discovery of innovative therapies for diseases with large unmet medical need. Galapagos seeks to develop a robust portfolio of therapies that have the potential to revolutionize existing treatment paradigms. The company’s ambition is to become a leading global biopharmaceutical company, focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of innovative medicines to improve patients’ lives. Galapagos’ historic focus on developing first-in-class medicines based on the discovery of novel targets in inflammation and fibrosis has led to the successful launch of our first medicine in rheumatoid arthritis in 2020 and in ulcerative colitis in 2021. The pivotal study in Crohn’s Disease is fully recruited and we expect topline data and potential approval in this new indication in a couple of years.
Galapagos is now entering an exciting new chapter to expand and diversify its pipeline for the future, starting with oncology, specifically CAR-T cell-therapy, a transformative treatment of different types of cancer. Through the combined acquisitions of CellPoint and AboundBio, we are propelling ourselves into next-generation cell therapies. CellPoint brings a novel, decentralized point-of-care cell therapy manufacturing model, which has the potential to offer efficient, 7-day time to treatment and avoids complex logistics, resulting in potential better patient outcomes and broader access. AboundBio’s cutting-edge fully human antibody-based platform provides access to a research engine for next generation multi-targeting CAR-Ts that have the potential to deliver deeper and durable clinical responses and that will be developed using CellPoint’s decentralized model.
We are looking for a Team Leader - Oncology Discovery
This is a highly interesting opportunity for an experienced cancer scientist to lead a team responsible for driving oncology projects from target validation to clinical candidate nomination.
Scope of the job
From developing new strategies to running actual projects, all our goals and actions are measured against a strong patient-centric approach. The Team Leader nurtures this mindset and drives an oncology drug discovery team of 3-4 FTEs from target validation to clinical candidate identification. Our ultimate goal is to discover and deliver transformative precision medicines to cancer patients. The nature of the work is explorative and vibrant, and we closely collaborate with a large variety of external and internal stakeholders.
Your role more in detail
- Lead a team of cell biologists responsible for validating new oncology targets and progressing projects from concept to clinical testing
- Lead and liaise with multi-disciplinary activities (Bioinformatics, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Pharmacology, ADME/PK/Tox…) to drive drug discovery projects forward
- Set-up team strategy and guide experimental roadmap to support quick Go/No Go decisions in drug discovery projects
- Generate robust data package to support the entry of new targets in Oncology discovery portfolio
- Identify, develop, and implement cellular assay cascades to support the initiation and advancement of projects
- Provide experimental and scientific leadership to the team
- Foster innovation in the team and contribute to new targets/approaches ideas
- Present at Senior Leadership Meetings
- Engage key opinion leaders and set-up external collaborations with academic institutions and external CROs
- Supervise and develop the activities of the team: prioritize work and optimize resources to ensure efficient and high-quality execution of the Therapeutic Area goals
- Serve as a cancer biology expert in the team and the Therapeutic Area
- Ensure a high-level scientific standard is maintained on all projects
- Ensure smooth communication and interactions with the other teams and all stakeholders
- Ph.D. and preferably, a post-doctoral experience in Cancer Research and minimum 4 years of drug discovery experience in Oncology; expertise with both targeted and immuno-oncology therapies is preferable
- Track record of leading Small Molecules projects towards clinical candidate nomination (experience with large molecule and/or CAR-T is a plus)
- Previous management experience in pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry
- Strong understanding of cancer biology and drug discovery landscape
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple drug discovery projects and external collaborations
- Independent scientist with the ability to adapt and prioritize activities to challenging deliverables
- Creative and able to bring new ideas
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Passionate about bringing new transformative medicines to cancer patients
What’s in it for you ?
You will be part of a fast growing and amazing company. As a ‘make-it-happener’ you will get all the support you need to make your job successful. At Galapagos we aim to recruit the best people, who stand out among their peers, with integrity and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Our employees are the strength behind Galapagos, a highly motivated team, eager to maintain Galapagos’ leading position and achieve breakthroughs in pharmaceutical research. Galapagos offers a competitive remuneration package and a dynamic work environment.
We are Galapagos : together we can make it happen…!